Monday, February 19, 2007

Allison Schulnik at Mark Moore 2/17

It has been a while since I last posted and I've actually seen a good bit of art since I last posted, but the past is the past. Now I will move on to the current. I went to Bergamont Station over the weekend to meet up with friends and to also check out the opening of FOOLS, REJECTS, AND SANCTUARIES a new collection of paintings by Allison Schulnik at Mark Moore Gallery. The work was quirky and funny, with paint that was applied so thick it took on a life somewhere between bas relief and thick cake frosting. And while some of this was to interesting end, especially in her landscape painting, most of the other subject matters seemed just that, central subjects without greater meaning or greater context. It would be nice to see the same technique applied to a subject matter that gave room for greater contemplation, because as the 3d surface technique looked like it would allow for a relationship of nuiances to develop over time with the viewer, I can't imagine the same being said for the images represented.

1 comment:

Levon Parian said...

Hi,

here is my link:

http://pariannews.blogspot.com/

Levon